Monday, January 14, 2019

December 2018

Our December started off with a bang! I feel like we have to start earlier and earlier to fit all the activities in that happen over the Christmas season. Jon had his techs come set up our Christmas lights and get the Christmas boxes down for me since his wrist was still in a cast. We had our Christmas family Card made right at the beginning of the month and passed those out with cookies or a package of warm tortillas to neighbors, friends, and family. This is a labor of loved because it is always so much work but I love the outcome of teaching the kids to give. We come away feeling grateful and happy to have put a smile on so many faces. We took the kids to donate at the giving machine in downtown Gilbert and that was also I great time to teach the kids about how to give to those who are in need and also to teach them about how fortunate we are to live and be where we are. WE went to Bass Pro and visited Santa. Four out of five kids were smiling in the picture so I count that as a win! We discussed all throughout the Christmas season the reason we Celebrate Christmas and what we can do to give back to our Savior who gave all for us! One week we focused on serving our community like the savior would, the next we served our immediate family like the savior would, then we focused on gifts for the savior that last week before Christmas. I enjoyed doing this as it helped us to keep focused on the love we feel from our savior and all he gave. I just love this time of year and the spirit of giving and love it brings! We Have an elf on the shelf doll that reports to Santa on whether the kids are being good or not. We also have a service Lamb that we pass around and leave in place of a service done around our home. I love this tradition and also putting a picture of Christ in the tree to remember why we truly celebrate Christmas. I was able to celebrate my cousin Brooke's birthday with her by going over and watching a hallmark movie and visiting. We always have a great time together and i wish we could get together more. The kids and I built gingerbread houses and the boys did one and the girls made one. I always love seeing them get creative! We Celebrated my birthday by going out to dinner at a new nice restaurant called firebirds grill. It was delicious! Jon surprised me with a new kitchen table that fits our whole family and some. I love it, and he also spoiled me with other gifts like taking me to get a pedicure. The kids made the day special with homemade cards, extra hugs, and extra kisses. My friends also spoiled me by taking me to lunch and bringing me gifts. Their friendship means the world to me and I am lucky to be surrounded by so many amazing talented ladies! The next week we celebrated Baileys eighth birthday! I love her spirit and her zest for life. She is a lover of friends, animals, cousins, bike rides, roller blading, and putting on makeup. She is kind and always great to share if she has received something the other kids haven't. We threw her a combined birthday party with a neighbor girl named Macy who was also turning eight. They went to the Ice skating rink near by and invited 25 friends. It was a lot of girls but they all had a blast! We had candy, donuts and hot chocolate. I think Bailey will always remember the great time she had with all of her friends! she got spoiled and has enjoyed playing with and using all the new things she got from friends and family. We got her a ctr ring, set of scriptures with scripture case, and a scripture marking pen. This is a big birthday as she has decided to get baptized into the our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Her birthday fell right after our stake held the baptisms so she will get baptized next month. We are so proud of her and all that she is becoming. She loves to sing, dance, and play dolls with her friends and sisters. She also loves to play soccer as a family. After the birthdays we began celebrating with family. Corina had all the Curtis' family over to her house for a Christmas dinner, desserts, and games. It was a lot of fun and as always we made great memories. We don't really see my moms side anymore which is sad. I get its hard to get such a large group together. The kids had fun celebrating the end of the semester and had Christmas parties in their classes. Wyatt got sick and had to miss the last day of school which was a huge bummer because his teacher was giving him an award at the school assembly for being the class scholar! He really has pushed through some major barriers and worked so hard to succeed and improve. He is a smart boy and just needs to believe in himself to get going. Bentley has been begging to ride his bike to school. I think we will set up some rules and allow him to after the Christmas break. It just makes me nervous with him crossing a major street. I enjoyed seeing the girls at the vocal performance and dance Christmas programs. They both love doing it and are great little performers. I prepared for Christmas day and got all the gifts for everyone and had them wrapped ahead of time so I wouldn't have a lot to do at the very end. I like being able to focus on family and my savior so I try to get it all done early. We are very blessed and enjoyed another Christmas celebration with family the Sunday before Christmas, and then spent Christmas eve at Chad and Jessicas with Mom, Dad, Collin, and Heidi. We are getting to the point where the family is so big and going in so many directions I keep feeling like I need to come up with some good family traditions of our own. Hopefully I can set some up for next year. We had a wonderful Christmas morning at our house. It really went well and we had a delicious breakfast too. The kids all enjoyed opening their presents and liked what they got. Jon spoiled me and got me way too much. I am grateful mostly for this time to spend as a family and create memories together. It was fun watching Olivia open gifts for her first time and the kids had fun helping her. Bentley's favorite was basketball shoes, Bailey Ukulele, Wyatt Rad Robot, Sophia a toy camera, and Olivia a doll. Later that day we went to mom and dads to ope gifts from them and enjoy some more delicious food and awesome company. It was a rare moment where we all gathered in one room and sang karaoke from Collins new speaker and microphone. I remember feeling complete peace and joy watching everyone getting along and smiling. The neat thing about this memory is that during the singing my brother Tyler later related a spiritual experience he had. He said that while everyone was singing he looked back at my mom to see Kevin, who passed away almost two years ago, with his arm around my mom also smiling. He said he knows without a doubt Kevin was there with us that day so it made that moment even more special. I am grateful for family and I know that we can be reunited with them after we die and live together for eternity thanks to our Savior! That Friday after Christmas we all gathered with Heidi to go with her to the Gilbert temple to take our her endowments. That was also a special memory I hold sacred and i know Kevin was also with us there. I loved being in the temple with my family and I always feel peace when I am there! The last few days of December were spent playing and organizing. We went to our friends the Drakes House for appetizers, games, and fun to ring in the new year. I look forward to this new year and hope I can develop a greater relationship with my Heavenly Father, Spend more time simplifying, and spend Quality time with friends and family.

No comments: